Sunday, May 9, 2010

Frankly Speaking

I owe this post to Frank, my brother-in-law. He keeps asking about house progress and I've been really slacking lately...so thanks for the kick in the pants.

The deck is taking shape:








Wood-burning fireplace is in:



We have windows - no more sweeping all the rain puddles away:






I've mentioned previously that I feel guilty about bringing Graham to a construction site/child death trap. Case in point:



We wanted to use radiant heat throughout the house, but couldn't afford it. We've heard it's difficult to heat a basement with forced air, so a nice compromise for us was to use only in the basement (the guest rooms will be nice and toasty, wink, wink...)



And I'm sad to say we've hit a wall. We've been somewhat ahead of the curve in making decisions, but now we're making decisions for things that will happen the next day. When our builder needed an answer about stone and siding choices, Paul and I stapled siding options to the house and laid out stone samples for the fireplace. We're limited in color choice with the style of siding we selected (board and batten), and while the beige might look more "matchy" in the photo below, we decided to go gray. Paul reminded me that one definition of the name Graham is gray house. Nuff said...



Stonework on fireplace:




Appropriate construction site fun for Graham:



And while it snowed in Rochester today, it still was a pretty darn good Mother's Day:



1 comment:

  1. Nothing like 'MOM' written in bacon to warm the heart! House looks like it is coming along. the fireplace rocks!

    ReplyDelete